Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What I didn't know I missed...

So, when I went home this past month I learned a lot about myself.  One major thing was that I missed being a leader to my girls.

I didn't really ever think twice about that.  I have been a leader for mid-high school girls since i was in middle school myself!  It's just second nature for me... point is - i took it for granted.  

Being a leader, especially Abby's, is what i feel was fulfilling a calling.  That is my calling - discipleship.  And now that I am not doing that,... well, I just think that has a lot to do with my state of "empty heart".  I think being a leader to someone like Abby gave me a reason for being outside of doing what I wanna do when I wanna do it...  I loved it.  I loved watching her grow in character, faith, and age.  I have been her leader since she was in 5th grade sneaking into our afterschool program cuz her older brother was there.  I remember helping her with her homework that first day I worked there.  Our relationship is more complicated now, but I can only pray that God will keep us connected and help me help her however I can.  Quaker Valley is a difficult school, socially speaking, and she and anyone else that goes there is gonna need all the support and love they can get.  I just hope I'm still in the position to give it.

No comments: